Indian PM vows swift justice for Mumbai victims

Written by kumaran   // July 14, 2011   // Comments Off

bombay attack

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday vowed that those responsible for a series of bomb blasts that killed 17 in Mumbai would be tracked down and prosecuted, as he visited the injured.

“Perpetrators of (the) Mumbai blasts shall be pursued relentlessly and brought to justice quickly,” the premier said on a tour of city hospitals treating some of the more than 130 wounded in Wednesday’s blasts. Investigators are banking on security camera footage to pinpoint who was behind the wave of explosions, which happened within 15 minutes in two crowded commercial areas of south Mumbai and a central residential district.

Police said that the bombs were made of ammonium nitrate — an ingredient for fertiliser commonly used in improvised devices. Home Minister P. Chidambaram earlier said there had been no intelligence of an impending attack and in the absence of any group claiming responsibility, the net of suspicion was flung far and wide.

“All groups hostile to India are on the radar. We are not ruling out anything, we are not ruling in anything. We are looking at everyone,” he said after visiting the scene of the three blasts. ”I think they chose the places because of the density of the population and the very congested nature of these areas,” he added. “They chose places where even a low-intensity blast could have a great impact.”

Chidambaram’s department said early on Thursday evening that 13 people were in a critical condition.
Specialist forensic teams, flown in from other cities, combed the blast sites for evidence, but Rakesh Maria, head of the Maharashtra state anti-terrorism squad, said monsoon rains were hampering their work. [Read More]


Similar posts

Comments are closed.